Lead Engineer, Controls
Company: Priority One Search
Posted on: September 16, 2023
The Controls Leader will provide key leadership with regard to
power and control systems, equipment specification and maintenance,
proper operation, technician development, troubleshooting and
repair to achieve or exceed reliability targets the plant. This
role has responsibility for systems optimization, compliance,
personnel safety and technician skill development relative to plant
electrical power and process control systems.KEY
- Assists primary administrator and troubleshooter for plant
power and control systems and is a key member of plant technical
- Provides input to the Engineering Projects Manager to develop
and manage power and control standards and ensure application of
the standards on all projects and upgrades.
- Leads the execution of the site masterplan for power and
controls systems to include understanding of the installed base,
and replacement plan for obsolete equipment/technologies.
- Builds and maintains a sustainable system for plant Electrical
& Instrumentation (E&I) technicians skill development. Coaches
technicians on skill assessment and development of operating within
- Manages Electrical & Instrumentation (E&I) technicians and
daily direction setting.
- Knows, communicates, and ensures technician compliance to local
and national regulator codes (NFPA 70, NFPA 70e, NFPA 79 and OSHA
1910). Is also responsible for ensuring equipment and safe practice
compliance in their area of responsibility.
- Responsible for validation of the MES data from PLCs. Support
plant Process Engineers in conditioning PLC data to accommodate
effective data analysis including application development.
- Provides support in the design and implementation of machine
control and process automation applications, such as: control
strategies, HMI design, MES applications and KPI development.
- Works with engineering and operations to identify losses, and
develop plans and strategies to eliminate them, in the areas of
safety, quality, reliability and cost.
- Owns parts or whole Key Elements for systems related to power
and control system such as electrical safety (LOTO, Electrical PPE,
Energized work permits, low voltage qualification, etc.) and
Quality/CCP compliance (checkweighers, metal detectors, vision
systems, ingredient flows, temperatures, etc.).
- Works closely with engineering and operations leaders on
selection and installation/start-up of new equipment. Becomes the
technical expert on new equipment and ensures the training of
others regarding control systems.
- Provides power and controls engineering support on capital
- Provides support throughout other parts of the plant as needed
on a daily basis.
- Learns and applies control, simulation and process modeling
technologies to analyze and improve overall process and packaging
operations. SELECTION CRITERIAEducation
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineeringis required; Electrical
engineering degree is preferredExperience
- 2 years of relevant controls experience is required
- Manufacturing experience is preferred
- Mechanical and electrical experience in food manufacturing is
- Ability to work and manage within a team environment
- Strong knowledge of machine and/or process control hardware,
instrumentation and software including Allen Bradley PLC and
Rockwell FactoryTalk platforms
- Working knowledge of NFPA and OSHA guidelines related to
electrical equipment and practices
- Proficiency in plant historian
- Understanding of technical systems and terminology
- Experience learning and integrating new technologies
- Experience leading the installation of equipment in food
- Demonstrated results in manufacturing maintenance utilizing
- Experience with plant systems software
- Self-motivated and able to motivate others
- Strong organizational, critical thinking, and problem-solving
- Effective presentation, verbal, and written communication
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite applications
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work off-shifts or weekends as needed, as well
as to take off-shift support calls as needed
- Experience leading, teaching or managing others
- Able to perform moderate activity including but not limited to,
significant time spent on manufacturing floor and some physical
work on equipment
Keywords: Priority One Search, Topeka , Lead Engineer, Controls, Engineering , Topeka, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!