Chief Medical Officer
Company: Midland Care
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Career Opportunities with Midland Care Connection A great place
to work. Careers At Midland Care Connection Share with friends or
Subscribe! Current job opportunities are posted here as they become
available. Subscribe to our RSS feeds to receive instant updates as
new positions become available. On top of our competitive pay, we
offer a comprehensive benefits package to qualifying part-time and
full-time employees that includes: medical, life, dental, and
vision insurance options. We understand the importance of a
work-life balance and provide an extensive PTO plan to qualifying
employees. Join our team and make a difference in the lives of
others--- and yours. Summary This Chief Medical Officer position is
responsible for the oversight, direction and delivery of
participant/patient care, oversight of the quality assessment and
performance improvement program, providing leadership and
supervision to medical staff, and achieving best clinical outcomes
possible for all participants/patients. This position has oversight
over the organization of the medical staff. This position is
required to work in all Midland Care programs, with responsibility
for medical care and provider staffing in all Midland Care
programs. This position reports directly to the President/CEO.
Employment Status:--Full - Time Typical Hours of Employment:--8 am
- 5 pm Employment Location: Topeka, KS Required Application
Materials:--Online Application, Cover Letter, Resume Service
- Serves as a member of the Executive Team.
- Serves as PACE program Medical Director.
- Responsible to oversee and provide medical patient care by
interviewing, examining and treating patients in order to meet
- Responsible to oversee and provide patient education on
wellness, prevention and early detection.
- Responsible to oversee and prescribe medical treatment and
medications to patients.
- Determines need for referrals and orders studies, tests and
ancillary services based on examination and patient needs.
- Determines level of urgency of follow-up, referral/consultation
- Documents all services in patient medical record in the
required time frames. Must be able to document in all of Midland's
Electronic Health Record systems.
- Collaborates with members of the IDT to develop and review care
- Acts as a resource for medical information regarding patient
disease, status, and prognosis. Assists with determining etiology
of specific symptoms and recommends or designs effective
- Participates in the on-call rotation as defined by Midland Care
for consultation services to the interdisciplinary team.
- Provides medical coverage and support after normal business
hours when the on-call nurse is unable to reach the attending
- Available to interdisciplinary team during routine working
hours for problem solving and consultation.
- Validates appropriateness of referrals for
admission/eligibility for Midland Care programs (Hospice, Home
Health, PACE, Palliative Care, Residential Center).
- Evaluates patients in inpatient settings or at their residences
as deemed necessary at time of admission, recertification, and as
- Prescribes palliative treatments and medications in
consultation with referring primary physician.
- Performs inpatient hospice facility physician services as
outlined by program policies and procedures.
- Serves as patient's primary physician when requested or deemed
- Has extensive knowledge of common terminal illnesses and
expertise in palliation of common symptoms of terminal
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Assists in other areas of the Midland organization as may be
- Institutes a behavioral framework for all medical
- Consults with other professionals on staff as needed regarding
patient care, assessment, and education issues.
- Oversees provider performance review, including competencies
and utilization reviews.
- Serves as a member of the IDT for Midland Care programs.
Participates in regular interdisciplinary team meetings and acts as
a medical resource.
- Oversees mid-level staff.
- Demonstrates competence in patient/family communication and
- Serves as a positive role model and works to improve staff
morale in the work environment.
- Responsible to hire, evaluate, and train medical
- Responsible to evaluate and train community contract
- Maintains oversight of the quality assessment and performance
- Assists with accreditation and CMS regulatory compliance and
- Develops and implements strategic goals related to the quality
improvement, provider management programs and accreditation
- Monitors clinical performance and finds ways to improve both
administratively and clinically.
- Stays abreast of and utilizes appropriate coding and
- Actively participates in utilization review of PACE programming
and other patient care programs as needed.
- Assists in the resolution of complaints, requests and inquiries
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient information according
to federal guidelines and regulations.
- Provides care in accordance with OSHA regulations and infection
- Utilizes evolving technology as assigned.
- Assists with the development of processes, procedures and
protocols related to the provision of medical care using research
and "best practices."
- Completes annual mandatory education requirements. Growth
- Acts as an advocate and serves as a liaison between Midland
Care programs, community physicians, and other health care
providers to develop and expand the awareness and availability of
- Keeps abreast of emerging models in health care delivery;
identifies and defines new and innovative strategies to achieve
business goals and objectives.
- Identifies opportunities to collaborate and develop clinical
opportunities with health care systems and other provider
- Develops and maintains relationships with health care systems
and other provider organizations.
- Acts as a consultant to referring primary physicians.
- Educates health care personnel and lay public regarding Midland
- Maintains staff privileges at participating inpatient health
- Cultivates relationships with other health care professionals
in the communities we serve.
- Participates as needed to market Midland Care Services. Finance
- Responsible to manage under and monitor compliance with the
parameters of approved model.
- Works to optimize utilization of resources.
- Maintains understanding of Medicare/Medicaid billing parameters
for all Midland Care Programs.
- Understands and utilizes appropriate coding and
- Understands appropriately captured diagnosis codes and teaches
other providers on coding standards.
- Utilizes company resources in a prudent and appropriate manner.
Is a good steward of company resources. The Midland Way Other
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: Carries out the mission and
values of Midland. Articulates Midland Philosophy. Demonstrates a
willingness to assist in patient/client and family care as needed.
Respects the autonomy and right of confidentiality of
patients/clients and families. Demonstrates good customer service
the Midland Way at all times. Participates in performance
improvement activities. Demonstrates ability to work
collaboratively with other staff. Comes to work in neat, clean
attire and consistently presents an appropriately professional
appearance. Comes to work as scheduled and consistently
demonstrates dependability and punctuality. Understands the
organization's computer system(s) and the software(s) used within
the department as applicable to this position. Serves as a
Universal Employee and accepts assigned duties in a cooperative
manner. Performs all duties as assigned in an effective manner.
Understands and demonstrates compliance with Midland policies and
procedures. Qualifications Must be a doctor of medicine or
osteopath and having completed an appropriate internship or
residency, is licensed to practice and prescribe scheduled drugs in
the State of Kansas. Must remain in good standing with the Board of
Healing Arts. Must subscribe to the hospice philosophy and PACE
managed care principles, and have five years' experience working
with chronically ill or terminal patients, including at least one
year working with the frail and elderly. Knowledge of the
principles and practice of primary medical care, with at least a
working knowledge of oncology. Knowledge of palliative care with
particular emphasis on symptom control associated with terminal
illness. Knowledge of the local medical community and the ability
to enhance Midland's visibility and reputation with area physicians
and hospitals preferred. Ability to collaborate with the patient's
primary physician to affect optimum medical care. Ability to
collaborate with hospice and PACE employees and volunteers as part
of an interdisciplinary team. Demonstrated management,
organizational and interpersonal skills. Strategic and innovative
thinker with proven ability to communicate a vision and drive
results. Knowledge of managed healthcare systems, medical quality
assurance, quality improvement and risk management. Demonstrated
ability to assess business needs, design and implement programs and
evaluate results. Must possess valid Kansas Driver's License, in
force automobile liability insurance and maintain a Motor Vehicle
Record (MVR) that meets organization's insurability standard as
defined by Midland policy. Physical Demands Continuously (75 - 100%
of time) performs a variety of tasks that involve standing, walking
and sitting. Must be able to stand and walk continuously (75 - 100%
of time). May have to lift up to fifty pounds--maximum less than
25% of the time. May be required to push materials, equipment or
furniture less than 10% of the time. The capacity to drive and the
availability of a car is required. The ability to use the telephone
is also essential. Visual, hearing, dexterity and mental demands -
adequate vision is essential to be able to read fine print and the
computer screen. Verbal, nonverbal and interpersonal communication
skills are necessary in this job. The ability to communicate in a
professional manner, both verbally and in writing, on the level
necessary for a particular situation is essential. Manual dexterity
is helpful in being able to use the computer keyboard and
equipment. Personal medical issues which may impact patient
interaction and evaluation, medical documentation, ambulation and
any activity described above must be disclosed as soon as possible
after impairment is known.
Keywords: Midland Care, Topeka , Chief Medical Officer, Executive , Topeka, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!