Sr Director, Actuarial & Analytics (PI Risk Mgmt Lead)
Company: Travelers Canada
Posted on: January 12, 2022
Company SummaryTaking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Job CategoryActuarial, Analytics & ResearchTarget Openings1Job
Description SummaryPersonal Insurance is seeking a highly motivated
individual to lead our PI Risk Management team. This position is
responsible for the Catastrophe Pricing, Underwriting and
Management Reporting to support PI's 5B Homeowner's portfolio. This
is a strategic role that has key influence on PI Property Product
and Enterprise Catastrophe and Enterprise Risk Management decisions
The Sr. Director, Actuarial and Analytics is an analytic leadership
role that is responsible for assigned unit typically involved in
reserving, rate-making, pricing, planning/forecasting, project
management and research. This role is expected execute strategic
and operational initiatives, drive change within assigned unit and
influence leaders up to the VP level with business partners in
assigned area, and share ownership of business financial results.
The Sr. Director, Actuarial and Analytics will work within broad
limits and authority on complex initiatives requiring specialized
knowledge and expertise in breadth and/or depth in several of the
following areas: Actuarial and/or research methods Advanced
statistical analyses Broad business knowledge In-depth Line of
Business knowledge Broader awareness of enterprise Actuarial &
Analytics community This role will lead a team.Primary Job Duties &
- Assess, prioritize, influence and communicate strategic
initiative options to senior leaders.
- Demonstrate effective execution and completion of assigned
strategic initiatives and projects.
- Generate and advocate for process improvements and actively
propel innovation in alignment with existing strategy.
- This position will lead assigned unit strategic initiatives and
cross-unit initiatives and is expected to participate in Enterprise
initiatives on a limited basis.
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve
business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Drive day to day execution within unit. Begin to drive broad
- Promote efficiency across primary working group, balancing
additional effort against incremental lift gained from work.
- Make decisions independently in accordance with department
- Consistently provide direction and review others' analytical
- Begin to translate ambiguous business needs into analytical
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the
Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates on a regular basis with staff, peers and business
partners and on an occasional basis with senior leaders.
- Tailors communication of analysis, project results, and other
business initiatives to audience.
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audiences.
- Leads group discussions with primary working group.
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or
- Able to influence and collaborate with peers and partners to
take actions to enhance business outcomes.
- Staff responsibilities are likely to include direct management
of a small team of individual contributors.
- Acquisition, retention, and development of talent for assigned
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including
performance and personal development goals.
- Succession planning and talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management.
- Support staff engagement cross Enterprise initiatives.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives
across Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent
assessment efforts.Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 5 years of comprehensive quantitative analysis experience
required.Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- 8+ years of quantitative analysis experience.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and
- Leadership experience.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and
translate complex information to leadership and non-technical
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL,
SAS).Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Begins to challenge conventional thinking.
- Takes ownership of projects related to strategic initiatives
and often makes independent recommendations to influence business
- Proficient in Leading Self including exhibiting decisiveness
and self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Development of Leading Others including modeling the way for
others and leading cross-unit projects.
- Initial development of Leading the Business including actively
engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting
an Enterprise culture.
- Business Acumen:
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of certain key
business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products,
reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim,
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in
developing and implementing analytic solutions.
- Has perspective on the industry and developing trends,
including: technology, analytic methodology, products, and
performance of competitors.
- Is familiar with most other key business drivers and
- Relationship Management:
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships
across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and drive consensus
- Aware of potential conflict and address proactively.
- Acknowledge accomplishments of others to broader
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for
portfolio of projects.
- Understand diverse perspectives to effectively accomplish
- Quantitative Analysis:
- Able to introduce innovative techniques to both new and
- Independently perform and implement complex analytics.
- Leads and actively engages in technical/peer reviews.
- Regularly offers technical consultative feedback.
- Can assess various technical solutions to optimize analytical
- Occasionally recognizes emerging issues that require a
quantitative solution within own portfolio of work. Travelers
offers a work location model that is designed to support
flexibility. This position can hybrid or based 100% remotely and
may include a combination of mobile work and/or work from your
primary residence. Employment PracticesTravelers is an equal
opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents
each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we
benefit in numerous ways from our differences. -
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting. To learn more about
our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
- Travelers has 30,000 employees in the United States, Canada,
the United Kingdom, Ireland and Brazil. > > Explore life at
- We have 8 diversity networks, employee-led organizations
dedicated to fostering the development and success of our
employees. > > Discover diversity and inclusion .
- Employees and their eligible family members - including
spouses, domestic partners and children - are eligible for coverage
from the first day of employment. > > Explore benefits .
- Travelers has been recognized by organizations such as Forbes,
Human Rights Campaign Foundation, and Military Times. > >
Read more about recognition .
- Our employees are valuable assets to their hometowns, giving
more than 100,000 hours of their time toward important causes each
year. > > Learn about community involvement .
Keywords: Travelers Canada, Topeka , Sr Director, Actuarial & Analytics (PI Risk Mgmt Lead), Executive , Topeka, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!