RN - Pediatrics/PICU/Young Adult Center - FT - Nights - #1681
Company: Stormont-Vail HealthCare
Posted on: January 8, 2021
RN - Pediatrics/PICU/Young Adult Center - FT - Nights -
#1681Stormont Vail Health is searching for a RN -
Pediatrics/PICU/Young Adult Center - FT - Nights - #1681 in our
Pediatrics Intensive Care Unit department. This position is at 1500
SW 10th Avenue, Topeka, KS 66604-1353 USA.Schedule: Full time - 36
hours/week or greaterShift: 12 hour Night shiftWeekly Work
Schedule: 7p-7a, 12 hours shifts, 3 x per weekMinimum
- BSN preferred. Meets educational preparation or other
qualifications within specified time frames as determined/outlined
by specific department policy.Department orientation follows a
- Level 1 introduces basic pediatric knowledge and
- Level 2 includes specialized skills for assisting with
procedural sedation and administering chemotherapy. These
specialized skills have defined competency pathways.
- Level 3 provides specialized orientation to care for critically
ill patients in PICU.Certificates and Licenses:
- Current RN licensure in the State of Kansas.
- BLS Certification required within 90 days of hire.Pediatric
specific certifications include:
- PEARS for all Peds staff within a year of hire/transfer to
- PALS for staff working in PICU and providing sedation
- APHONS required of staff administering chemotherapy.
- Pediatric certification (CPN) is encouraged within 3 years of
hire/transfer date.Primary Duties and Responsibilities:Assumes
responsibility and accountability for a group of patients for a
designated time frame and provides care to these patients through
the therapeutic use of self, the nursing process, the
environment/instrumentation, and other health care team members.The
delivery of professional nursing care at Stormont Vail Health is
guided by Jean Watson's Theory of Human Caring and the theory of
Shared governance, both of which are congruent with the mission,
vision, and values of the organization. Watson's Caring Theory
ensures the development of therapeutic relationships and involves
human beings and their spirit in every aspect of care delivery, and
is demonstrated through the implementation of ten (10) carative
behaviors:1. attentive listening2. comforting3. honesty4.
patience5. responsibility6. providing information to allow informed
decisions7. touch8. sensitivity9. respect10. calling the patient by
nameEssential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs assessment/data collection in an ongoing and
systematic manner, focusing on physiological and cognitive
- Formulates a prioritized and goal directed plan of care, which
is based on patient's presenting problems and projected
- Implements care in a knowledgeable, skillful, consistent
manner, while promoting the continuum of care.
- Functions to establish priorities of patient care based on
essential patient needs and available unit resources of time,
personnel, equipment and supplies.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the health care process (self,
systems, environment, and instrumentation) in meeting
- Evaluates the patient's progress towards achieving
- Documents in patient and department records in a timely,
accurate and concise manner according to department standards.
- Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to rights of
patient/significant other, as identified within the
- Functions with an awareness and application of safety issues as
identified within the institution.
- Performs efficiently in emergency patient situations following
established standards of care.
- Practices effective problem identification and resolution as a
method of sound decision making.
- Demonstrates awareness of legal issues in all aspects of
patient care and departmental functioning. Strives to manage
situations in a manner, which minimizes risk to the patient and the
- Participates in system wide/department patient care quality
improvement activities as well as standards development.
- Demonstrates competency in selected psychomotor skills.
- Identifies patient/significant other learning needs and
implements appropriate measures to meet these needs.
- Demonstrates competency in the care and decision making for
designated patient populations.
- Participates actively in clinical education activities,
including orientation of new employees and teaching student
- Participates in development and attainment of system
wide/department hospital goals.
- Seeks validation of knowledge base, skill level and decision
making as necessary and assertively seeks guidance in areas of
- Demonstrates self-directed learning and participation in
continuing education to meet own professional development.
- Participates in nursing research activities.
- Demonstrates an awareness of self-responsibility for own
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Kansas State Nurse Practice Act
and follows the statutes and regulations therein.
- Demonstrates appropriate delegation of tasks and duties in the
direction and coordination of health care team members, patient
care and department activities in accordance with the Kansas State
Nurse Practice Act.
- Demonstrates effective communication methods and skills,
utilizing appropriate reporting structures.
- Formulates positive working relationships with all health care
- Adheres to staffing and scheduling practices.Department
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other
duties may be assigned.
- Demonstrates competency with developmental care of patients
from infancy through young adulthood.About Stormont Vail Health:
Stormont Vail Health is a nonprofit integrated health system that
has been serving the health care needs of Kansas for more than 130
years. Stormont Vail has been recognized as a Magnet--
organizationsince 2009 by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
It is composed of Stormont Vail Hospital, a 586-bed acute care
hospital, and Cotton O'Neil Clinic, a multi-specialty physician
group with more than 500 providers, which includes more than 250
physicians. Nearly 5,300 employees provide care and support
services for patients in the hospital and 35 other locations,
including the Cotton O'Neil Heart Center, Cancer Center, Diabetes &
Endocrinology Center, Digestive Health Center, Pediatrics clinics
and 10 regional primary care clinics. Stormont Vail Health is
committed to its mission of improving the health of the community
by being a national leader in providing compassionate, high quality
and efficient integrated care through collaboration that results in
a healthier community.Our company provides equal employment
opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
disability or genetics.
Keywords: Stormont-Vail HealthCare, Topeka , RN - Pediatrics/PICU/Young Adult Center - FT - Nights - #1681, Healthcare , Topeka, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!