Medical Laboratory Scientist
Company: Stormont Vail Health
Posted on: September 25, 2022
The Medical Laboratory Scientist/Medical Technologist (MLS/MT)
is responsible for receiving specimens, confirming physician
orders, obtaining the necessary information for testing specimens,
preparing the specimens for testing and preparing specimens to be
forwarded to other laboratories (reference laboratories). The
MLS/MT acts as a resource person for inpatient caregivers, clinic
caregivers and outreach accounts with regards to solving problems,
answering questions and giving technical support. The MLS/MT
assists the Outreach Account representative to establish positive
relationships with outreach accounts. The MLS/MT performs bench
testing in one or more areas of the laboratory to obtain data to be
used in diagnosis and treatment of disease. The MLS/MT assists in
and/or instructs other personnel and medical technologist
Education Qualifications of MLS/MT
* Bachelor's Degree Medical technology, biology, chemistry or a
related field. MLS(ASCP), MT(ASCP), CLS(NCA), MT(AMT) or equivalent
registry or registry-eligible. Required or
* Single discipline technologist certification may be considered
depending on the position: Microbiology M (ASCP), Hematology H
(ASCP), Chemistry C (ASCP), and Molecular Biology MB (ASCP). Single
discipline specialist certification may be considered depending on
the position: Blood Banking SBB (ASCP), Chemistry SC (ASCP),
Hematology SH (ASCP), and Microbiology SM (ASCP). Required
Experience Qualifications of MLS/MT
* 1 year Experience performing specimen collecting or testing.
Preferred Skills and Abilities of MLS/MT
* Follows departmental procedure manual instructions in the event a
quality control sample falls out of acceptable limits.
* Uses a pleasant and professional manner. Establishes and
maintains cooperative relationships with patients, customers,
staff, and others using a courteous and caring attitude.
* Interacts with colleagues in a way that promotes a harmonious and
cooperative working environment.
* Periodically reviews applicable journal material.
* Follows all applicable OSHA guidelines. Follows all hospital and
departmental safety procedures.
* Arrives at work on time, begins work promptly, and is available
until end of shift. What you will do as a MLS/MT
* Is able to collect and test a variety of specimen and sterile
techniques. Follows departmental procedure manual instructions in
the event a quality control sample falls out of acceptable
* Able to report high quality, consistent and reliable results.
Maintains accurate records.
* Understands the theory involved in procedures and troubleshoots
when questionable or erratic results occur. Takes proper remedial
action in response to test systems being out of control limits.
* Maintains equipment as directed by instruction manual, laboratory
policy procedure manual and/or supervisor. Operates equipment
properly. Thoroughly reads manual before using equipment. Knows the
equipment, how it functions, what its limitations are when it is
* Reports unusual or erratic results to supervisor. Maintains
quality control records; keep limits posted and up-to-date.
Calculates the control mean and standard deviation for each numeric
* Calls critical results to clinics, outreach clients or inpatient
nursing units; refers to departmental procedure manual for special
* Researches and sets up new procedures and/or modifies existing
* Evaluates delta checks according to departmental procedure and
calls the result when indicated per procedure.
* Follows other specific laboratory computer procedures.
* Effectively relates to the patient/client, with his total welfare
as the most important goal. Relates any pertinent data or
information about patient or laboratory sample to ordering
physician and appropriately documents the communication.
* Offers to help fellow workers as time permits without neglecting
own responsibilities. Uses spare time for work related activities.
Organizes work during heavy workload situations to expedite patient
results. Prioritizes/reorganizes workload in response to STAT
* Inventory supplies as directed by supervisory technologist. Tells
supervisor about any supplies or equipment needed. Alert to
situations or new techniques which will conserve supplies or
improve efficiency. Evaluates new products and supplies as directed
* Gives lectures or bench training as assigned to the Medical
Technologist interns and other health professionals. Instructs
other employees and interns on techniques and procedures as
directed by supervisory technologists. Conveys knowledge
competently and in an encouraging way when necessary to train
others on new equipment or new procedures.
* Reports errors of breach of technique by supportive personnel or
interns to education coordinator or management staff. Completes
documentation as required. Job Type: Full-time Benefits:
* Dental insurance
* Health insurance
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift Ability to commute/relocate:
* Topeka, KS 66604: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before
starting work (Required) License/Certification:
* Medical Technologist (Required)
* Medical Laboratory Scientist Certification (Required) Work
Location: One location
Keywords: Stormont Vail Health, Topeka , Medical Laboratory Scientist, Healthcare , Topeka, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!