Surgical Technologist - Single Day Surgery - FT - Day
Company: Stormont Vail Health
Posted on: September 8, 2023
Full time - 36 hours/week or greater
First Shift (Days - Less than 12 hours per shift) (United States of
Weekly Work Schedule:
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
A Brief Overview
The Surgical Technologist handles the instruments, supplies, and
equipment before, during, and after the surgical procedure. He/she
has an understanding of the procedure being performed and
anticipates the needs of the surgeon. He/she has the necessary
knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the
operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of
the sterile field. There are multiple service lines the surgical
technologist will scrub to include cardiovascular, neurosurgery,
general surgery, robotics, orthopedics trauma, sports medicine,
total joints, plastics, urology, gynecology, ENT, ophthalmology and
- Associate's Degree Graduate of a Surgical Technologist Program,
6 months surgical tech experience in lieu of education.
- 6 months Recent surgical technologist experience in the
operating room. Graduation from a Surgical Technologist Program may
be used in lieu of experience. Required
Skills and Abilities
- Fosters positive working relationships with all health care
customers. (Required proficiency)
- Demonstrates awareness of self-responsibility for own practice.
- Demonstrates cost effectiveness in use of supplies and
equipment. (Required proficiency)
Licenses and Certifications
- Certified Surgical Technologist - AST Preferred or
- Certified Surgical Technologist - NBSTSA Preferred
What you will do
- Checks supplies and equipment needed for the surgical procedure
as per preference card. Anticipates problem areas and adjusts
instrumentation to individual patient.
- Maintains highest standard of sterile technique and promptly
reports any compromise.
- Sets up sterile table with instruments, supplies, and equipment
prior to patient entry.
- Mixes and labels all medications under the supervision of the
- Performs appropriate counts with the RN Circulator prior to the
operation and before the incision is closed.
- Hands instruments and supplies to surgeon, holds retractors,
cuts sutures, and performs tasks as directed by surgeon during the
operation. Wound closure is specific to Certified First Assistant
(CFA) duties and is referenced to the Certified First Assistant
(CFA) job description.
- Assists team members to place and position patient on O.R.
- Places sterile dressings on patient following surgery.
- Provides timely, accurate and concise reports on all patients
to oncoming personnel.
- Uses PreKlenz and prepares instruments for transport to
- Fosters positive working relationships with all health care
- Participates actively in clinical education activities,
including orientation of new employees.
- Helps with inner core duties.
- Writes name on white boards in the room to identify as inner
- Re-stocks room supplies.
- Follows all department and hospital policies and
Required for All Jobs
- Complies with all policies, standards, mandatory training and
requirements of Stormont Vail Health
- Performs other duties as assigned
Patient Facing Options
- Position is Patient Facing
Remote Work Guidelines
- Workspace is a quiet and distraction-free allowing the ability
to comply with all security and privacy standards.
- Stable access to electricity and a minimum of 25mb upload and
- Dedicate full attention to the job duties and communication
with others during working hours.
- Adhere to break and attendance schedules agreed upon with
- Abide by Stormont Vail's Remote Worker Policy and will review
and acknowledge the Remote Work Agreement annually.
Remote Work Capability
- On-Site; No Remote
- No Supervisory Responsibility
- No Budget Responsibility No Budget Responsibility
- Balancing: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Carrying: Frequently 3-5 Hours
- Climbing (Ladders): Rarely less than 1 hour
- Climbing (Stairs): Rarely less than 1 hour
- Crawling: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Crouching: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Driving (Automatic): Rarely less than 1 hour
- Driving (Standard): Rarely less than 1 hour
- Eye/Hand/Foot Coordination: Frequently 3-5 Hours
- Feeling: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Grasping (Fine Motor): Frequently 3-5 Hours
- Grasping (Gross Hand): Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Handling: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Hearing: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Kneeling: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Lifting: Occasionally 1-3 Hours up to 100 lbs
- Operate Foot Controls: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Pulling: Occasionally 1-3 Hours up to 50 lbs
- Pushing: Occasionally 1-3 Hours up to 50 lbs
- Reaching (Forward): Occasionally 1-3 Hours up to 50 lbs
- Reaching (Overhead): Occasionally 1-3 Hours up to 50 lbs
- Repetitive Motions: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Sitting: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Standing: Frequently 3-5 Hours
- Stooping: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Talking: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Walking: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
Physical Demand Comments:
May assist with lifting patients.
- Burn: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Chemical: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Combative Patients: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Dusts: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Electrical: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Explosive: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Extreme Temperatures: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Infectious Diseases: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Mechanical: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Needle Stick: Occasionally 1-3 Hours
- Noise/Sounds: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Other Atmospheric Conditions: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Poor Ventilation, Fumes and/or Gases: Rarely less than 1
- Radiant Energy: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Risk of Exposure to Blood and Body Fluids: Occasionally 1-3
- Risk of Exposure to Hazardous Drugs: Rarely less than 1
- Hazards (other): Rarely less than 1 hour
- Vibration: Rarely less than 1 hour
- Wet and/or Humid: Rarely less than 1 hour
Stormont Vail is an equal opportunity employer and adheres to the
philosophy and practice of providing equal opportunities for all
employees and prospective employees, without regard to the
following classifications: race, color, ethnicity, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, national
origin, citizenship, age, marital status, uniformed service,
disability or genetic information. This applies to all aspects of
employment practices including hiring, firing, pay, benefits,
promotions, lateral movements, job training, and any other terms or
conditions of employment.
Retaliation is prohibited against any person who files a claim of
discrimination, participates in a discrimination investigation, or
otherwise opposes an unlawful employment act based upon the above
Keywords: Stormont Vail Health, Topeka , Surgical Technologist - Single Day Surgery - FT - Day, Healthcare , Topeka, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!