SQL Database Administrator/SQL System Analyst
Company: Abacus Service Corporation
Posted on: January 24, 2023
State of Kansas
Staff Augmentation Request
(Position # K0238345)
State of Kansas departments will complete and send this form to a
Today's Date: 10/3/2022
HR Manager or Designee placing request: Ken Ballew Phone 785-
Department Name: HS-EBIT Human Services Executive Branch
Information Technology / Kansas Department of Children and
Kansas Job Classification Title: SQL Database Administrator/SQL
System Analyst Number of Temps needed 1
Projected Start Date: ASAP Estimated End Date: Contract to Hire
Job Location: 503 S. New England Bldg., 5 th floor, Kansas Ave
Description of Job Duties:
- Assist work efforts to Install, Develop or maintain data
structures or databases consistent with the organization's
information architecture, data security requirements, and data
storage and performance requirements of business applications as
well as the supporting software and tools.
- With assistance, conducts feasibility studies related to
database development, designing, implementing and modifying
- Establish or perform procedures for distributing stored or
processed data, in the format and medium needed by users, with
security protections appropriate to the data content and
transmission method. Integrates systems through database
- Develop, execute or monitor execution of plans/documentation
for installation, acceptance testing, implementation, or data
- Store, retain, archive, restore or dispose of data in
accordance with user needs for access and organization requirements
for managing electronic records; periodically test the recovery of
data from backups.
- Participate in efforts in the research and resolution of
Technical issues and provides technical assistance to developers in
support of the database and data model.
- Consults with programmer/system analysts, peers, business
users, Data Center/Computer Operations, outside agencies, third
parties and vendors on issues related to the database and
application software and if needed, presents written and oral
solution and analyses. The procedure to resolve will vary based on
the issue/question raised.
- Provide software and application support during normal work
hours for work efforts.
- Provide on-call support both during and outside of normal work
hours for application schedules and processes.
- Convert or transfer database files or tables from existing
storage locations and formats to replacement locations and formats;
develop and test automated means for performing
- Work collaboratively with integrated systems administrators to
implement and maintain integrations across enterprise business
applications. To include security, data integrations, etc.
- Develop and monitor overall system health, as
- Identify or monitor the performance and condition of critical
components of the Database IT infrastructure; analyze failures and
initiate corrective actions.
- Establish and calculate optimum values for database
- Monitor database performance or resource utilization of
in-production information systems; analyze readings and output from
performance and capacity indicators; report utilization trends and
any exceptions to target values as needed.
- Adjust database system configuration, user access or job
scheduling to bring variant indicators of performance and capacity
back within tolerance.
- Identify or document changes needed to software or services to
accommodate forecast changes in workload, to correct system
deficiencies, or to improve cost/performance ratios.
- Test execution of the Disaster Recovery plan for business
continuity and system recovery; coordinate participation by
- Ensure software and application documentation is prepared and
updated as assigned projects, problem reports, work efforts and
service requests are implemented to allow for effective
maintenance/support/enhancement of assigned software.
- Develop and document the technical processes, environmental
lifecycles, application infrastructure, security, testing and
procedures to adapt to a peer and customers environment.
- Specify policies, standards or procedures for safeguarding
applications and data integrity (accuracy, completeness and
- Assist in testing information system software and tools: Work
collaboratively with development, business, training and testing
unit to deliver excellent customer service by testing software
upgrades of applications and tools to ensure it provides or
continues to meet functionality to meet business needs and
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Specific experience/skills/knowledge :
- At least 2 years of experience as an SQL Database Administrator
in a Windows Server environment 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016 or
- Education in SQL Database Administration.
- Knowledge and experience with application software tools and
application development methodology through complete life cycles. -
- Knowledge and experience with the following system software;
database management, SQL scripting/programming and operating
- SQL Database - must have, current knowledge and
- Windows Server OS, functions/commands - must have
- SQL Management Studio must have
- SQL must have
- SQL scripting and modifications of files generated out of the
DB must have
- Extensive knowledge of T-SQL (Stored Procedures, Triggers,
Indexing, Agents), Data Tuning and cleansing, Query Tuning, and
Database Security must have
- Visual Studio preferred
- Red Gate software preferred
- WebSphere Application Server optional.
- Ability to deal effectively with the information technology
needs of: IT technicians and development staff; business users; and
software vendor and management staff. Strongly preferred
- Good organization and workload management skills. - Strongly
- Effective written and oral communication skills in order to
establish and maintain good rapport with agency staff for effective
and timely problem identification, resolution and work efforts.
- Experience working on small to medium projects or work efforts
(1-6 months of effort) enhance and configure assigned database and
software products. optional
- Capability to work independently and effectively in complex
- Access DB experience - optional.
- Minimum 2 years' experience designing/analyzing, coding,
testing, debugging database programs or system software programming
- Proven experience as a database administrator on SQL Databases
for a Windows Server Environment 2008 or above. Provide
documentation showing working knowledge as an SQL DBA & SQL Systems
- Education in SQL database administration for the Windows Server
2012 and above. Provide documentation showing completed
This position is in the class series that requires a background and
fingerprint checks, at the time of appointment.
Must be a United States Citizen, proof required.
Education in SQL Scripting and Database Administration for the
Windows Server 2012 and above. Provide documentation showing
completed courses. See Skills and Experience above.
Physical requirements (lifting, repetitive motion, etc):
Normal environmental conditions of typical modern offices. Work is
predominately sedentary and requires minimal physical exertion.
Normally seated, work allows for walking or standing at will.
Limited travel for the support of business users. Lifting and
moving, manuals (books). Being on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week (and frequently called). Working evenings and weekends as
needed is expected to provide database management, deployments for
applications and system software and tools.
Attire for position: Business Casual
Keywords: Abacus Service Corporation, Topeka , SQL Database Administrator/SQL System Analyst, IT / Software / Systems , Topeka, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!