Assistant General Counsel
Company: Kansas Corporation Commission
Posted on: October 10, 2019
Location: Topeka, Kansas, 66604, United StatesPosted:
2019-09-25Position Title: Assistant General CounselCompany Name:
Kansas Corporation CommissionSector: Other
The Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC), the state agency charged
with regulating public utilities, currently has a vacancy for an
unclassified Assistant General Counsel in its Topeka office. The
Commission's headquarters is in Topeka with the central
Conservation office in Wichita and four Conservation district
offices located in Dodge City, Wichita, Chanute and Hays.
About the Position:
Who can apply: Law Degree with evidence of current Kansas licensure
to practice law in good standing
Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
Work Schedule: M-F 8-5
Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
Veterans' Preference Eligible: Yes
Search Keywords: Shawnee, KCC, Counsel Attorney
* Salary can vary depending upon education, experience, or
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave,
jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
Visit the Employee Benefits page for more information
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
The Assistant General Counsel's responsibilities include:
- Drafting orders for the Commission and offering legal advice to
- Presiding over prehearing and scheduling conferences.
- Representing the Commission in federal and state court
- Legal Research other assignments from the Commissioners and/or
Degree from an accredited law school.
Licensing & Certification:
Licensed and in good standing with the Bar of the Supreme Court of
Kansas at the time of appointment.
At least 2 years of practice experience. Candidates must be
qualified for admission to practice in the U.S. District Court of
Kansas. Judicial clerkship and law journal experience
Recruiter Contact Information:
Name: Sandra Rak
Mailing Address: 1500 SW Arrowhead Road
Required Documents for this Application to be Complete:
On your Careers - My Job Applications page, verify these documents
are present and valid. Upload or delete and replace if needed:
* Tax Clearance Certificate
* DD214 (if you are claiming Veteran's Preference)
Inside this job's Job Application, upload these documents:
* Cover Letter
* Writing Sample
Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate Required: Each applicant (even
non-residents) applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must
obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the
Kansas Department of Revenue's website. A Tax Clearance is a
comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an
individual's account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws.
A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. All applicants, including
current state employees, are responsible for submitting a valid
certificate with all other application materials to the hiring
agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you
need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact .
Visit the Tax Clearance site for more information on and where to
obtain this Kansas Department of Revenue document.
Job Application Process:
- Sign into your existing account or Register for a new
- Review and complete your contact information on the My Contact
- Upload documentslisted in the Required Documents section of
this job posting to the appropriate location.
- Complete and Submityour application.
- Check your email and My Job Notificationsfor written
communications from the Recruiter.
- Email - the email listed on the Careers> My Contact
- Notifications - view the Careers> My Job Notifications
See the helpful links below to assist in completing your
- Job Search
- Create an Account
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Claim Veterans Preference
Veterans' Preference Eligible (VPE): Former military personnel or
their spouse that have been verified as a "veteran"; under K.S.A.
73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum
competency factors of the position. The veterans' preference laws
do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the
best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager.
Learn more about claiming Veteran's Preference
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value
diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create
and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be
considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to
the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a
disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like
to request an accommodation, please address the request to the
Assistant General Counsel Assistant General Counsel Assistant
General Counsel Assistant General Counsel Assistant General Counsel
Assistant General Counsel
Keywords: Kansas Corporation Commission, Topeka , Assistant General Counsel, Legal , Topeka, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!