Assistant Principal, 2021-2022
Company: Topeka Public Schools
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Reports To: Building Principal
To use leadership, management, supervisory, and monitoring
skills to promote the educational development of each student.
The incumbent must possess, or be able to obtain by time of
appointment, a Kansas building or district leadership license and
possess the necessary training and experience in planning,
organizational, supervisory, and evaluation skills which the
position entails. The incumbent should also demonstrate skills in
curriculum and instructional leadership, personnel guidance,
scheduling processes, policy, law, budget, school/community
relations, and professional renewal.
The incumbent may be required to use the following skills and
abilities during any part of the working day: speaking, hearing,
visual, walking/mobility, standing, consistency of temperament,
ability to work with a variety of problems at the same time,
stamina for working long hours.
- Curriculum Development, Supervision and Evaluation
- Leads in the development, determination of appropriateness, and
monitoring of the instructional program.
- Supervises the school's co-curricular and educational
- Approves the master teaching schedule and any special personnel
- Facilitates and monitors the school accreditation process.
- Understands school curriculum, ensures teaching of the written
curriculum, helps staff use curriculum resources.
- Participates in and/or leads curriculum development activities
commensurate with school and district goals.
- Provides opportunities and encouragement for staff to increase
- Assists in identifying curricular and extracurricular needs by
analyzing current programs and student achievement.
- Regularly uses the results of student assessment data to
identify problems and implement program improvements and/or
- Student Assessment and Monitoring
- Emphasizes student achievement as the primary outcome of
- Systematically assesses and monitors student progress, using
objective and verifiable information whenever possible.
- Works with staff to systematically identify and respond to
at-risk students; makes referrals to appropriate community agencies
- Assures the proper educational placement of students.
- Student and Staff Relations
- Models and facilitates good human relations skills; effectively
interacts with others.
- Solicits information from school personnel and community in
gauging the school climate.
- Recognizes efforts of students and teachers.
- Promotes the improvement of student and staff self-images.
- Communicates high expectations for both staff and students and
provides appropriate motivation to reach expectations.
- Fosters collegial relationships with and among teachers and
- Establishing an Effective Workplace
- Develops and maintains positive staff morale.
- Facilitates and/or works with the building principal to
- Implement a discipline code that is fair and promotes
orderliness and student learning.
- Protect instructional time by minimizing interruptions to the
- Coordinate teacher and student schedules to promote maximum
learning and minimize conflict.
- Maintain high visibility in the school.
- Provide for adequate supervision and acceptable student
behavior at all school functions planned and operated by school
- Lead and direct the school leadership team.
- Establish and maintain an effective learning climate in the
school and ensure that the staff follows effective school
- Plan, organize, and direct the implementation of school
- Maintain appropriate and consistent standards of student
conduct and enforce discipline, as necessary, according to due
process for the rights of students.
- Delegate authority to responsible personnel to assume
responsibility for the school in the absence of the building
- Staff Supervision and Personnel Evaluation
- Supervises (under the direction of the building principal) all
professional, paraprofessional, administrative, and nonprofessional
personnel assigned to the school.
- Assists in the recruiting, screening, hiring, training,
assigning, and evaluating of the school's professional staff.
- Assures the orientation of newly assigned staff members and
assists in their development, as appropriate.
- Recommends, according to established procedures, the removal of
a staff member whose work is unsatisfactory.
- Communication and Community Relations
- Keeps the building principal informed of the school's
activities and problems.
- Maintains ongoing communications with staff, students, and
- Attends events held to recognize student achievement and
school-sponsored activities and functions.
- Conducts meetings with the staff as necessary for the proper
functioning of the school.
- Assures arrangements are made for special conferences between
parents, teachers, community members, agencies, and other
- Establishes and maintains favorable relationships with local
community groups and individuals to foster understanding and
solicit support for overall school objectives and programs, to
interpret board policies and administrative directives, and to
discuss and resolve individual student problems.
- Serves, or causes a member of the leadership team to serve, as
an ex-officio member of all committees and councils within the
- Speaks and writes effectively.
- Communicates and works with Central Office and other principals
to share ideas, problems, expertise, and personnel.
- Encourages parent visits and involvement in decision
- Effectively utilizes community resources and volunteers to
promote student learning.
- Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Utilizes the TPS Strategic Plan and TPS Learning Principles to
- Considers research when making decisions.
- Considers alternatives and consequences in the decision-making
- Makes decisions in a timely fashion and maximizes decisions'
effectiveness by follow-up actions.
- Clearly communicates decisions and rationale to all
- Interprets and ensures compliance with district policies and
state and federal regulations.
- Asserts leadership in times of civil disobedience in school, in
accordance with established Board policy.
- Participates in principals meetings, negotiations meetings, and
such other meetings as are required or appropriate.
- Identifies problem areas and seeks solutions before crisis
- Effectively delegates decision making and problem solving to
- Professional Development
- Keeps abreast of changes and developments in the profession by
attending professional meetings, reading professional journals and
other publications, and discussing problems of mutual interest with
others in the field.
- Effectively utilizes the expertise of school personnel,
including self, in staff development.
- Provides opportunities for teachers to share and demonstrate
- Views self as a role model for expected staff behavior.
- Helps teachers implement objectives for themselves and
- Assumes responsibility for his/her own professional growth and
development through membership and participation in the affairs of
professional organizations, and through attendance at regional,
state, and national meetings.
- Assist in identifying, cultivating, and promoting teacher
- Building Management, Recordkeeping, and Financial
- Assists with the preparation and administration of the school
budget and supervision of school finances.
- Prepares, or supervises the preparation of, the maintenance and
distribution of reports, records, lists, and other paperwork
required or appropriate to the school's administration,
transportation, special services, etc.
- Monitors and controls the various local funds generated by
- Assumes responsibility for the safety and administration of the
school facilities, including security personnel.
- Provides for adequate inventories of property under his/her
jurisdiction and for the security and accountability for that
property. Ensures the building(s) and grounds are safe and that
drills, evacuations and other emergency procedures conform to state
- Assures the allocation of instructional resources for optimum
teaching and learning. (supplies, equipment, space, etc.)
- When appropriate, ensures a quality food service program.
- Effectively copes with crises and emergencies.
- Maintains accurate personnel, student, and fiscal records.
- Anticipates future building and equipment needs; plans
appropriately to remedy.
- Performs other Duties as Assigned by the Superintendent and
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Salary and work year to be determined by Board of Education.
Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance
with provisions of the Board's policy on evaluation of
Keywords: Topeka Public Schools, Topeka , Assistant Principal, 2021-2022, Other , Topeka, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!