Health Information Management Technician
Company: Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Department: Health Center
Supervisor: Business Office Manager
Location: 11400 158th Road Mayetta, KS 66509
Pay Range: $12.23 - $22.56
- Offering rate will vary within the listed hourly range above.
Supported by the Department budget & related
- Preference in employment actions exercised in accordance with
applicable law. Applicants must provide proof of eligibility for
- Benefits for Full-Time: Weekly pay periods, Holiday pay, paid
Birthday leave, Weekly accruals for Vacation & Sick leave,
Administrative, Bereavement, and Educational Leave available,
Low-Cost & Low-Deductible Benefits Plans & Generous 401(k) matching
Questions before applying? 785-966-3060 or HR@pbpnation.org
The purpose of the Health Information Management (HIM)
Technician is to perform a variety of administrative duties
involving greeter/receptionist, patient medical record processing,
and clerical tasks.
- Creates a positive first impression for each patient, new or
- Gathers accurate information by interviewing patients, generate
new patient records, keying information using registration
software, and obtaining signatures for each patient encounter.
- Assist patients in completing forms to ensure accuracy and
completeness for the patient registration system to include all
- Verifies third party eligibility (ie: Medicare, Medicaid
private insurance and/or veteran's administration).
- Identifies Patients who do not have alternate resources and
assigns them to the appropriate Patient Benefits Coordinator.
- Schedules and coordinates patient appointments using
computerized records to include scheduling, canceling, and
rescheduling. May distribute schedule when/where applicable.
- Prepares correspondence related to patient appointments and
- Explain financial requirements to the patient or patient
- Handles cash and other payments per established cash control
systems established by the organization.
- Assembles hard charts for patients when necessary.
- Directs or escorts patients to appropriate departments promptly
and in a courteous and positive manner.
- Performs any additional reception duties to include but not
limited to answering phones, taking messages, receiving visitors,
filing reports, disturbing mail, assembling pre-admission forms,
answering telephones, updating computer records, stocking duty
station and surrounding area with operational necessities, ensures
areas are kept clean of excessive debris, provide clerical support
when/where needed and other related duties.
- Receives, reviews and processes all incoming/outgoing Release
of Information Authorizations via mail, fax, email, phone or
in-person from patients, hospitals, attorneys, medical audits, and
other undefined requests. Notates authorization activity within
Resource Patient Management System (RPMS), GUI and/or anywhere
- Perform patient's Personal Health Records (PHR) and RPMS DIRECT
Messaging registration by following PHR registration procedure
(i.e. Identity Vetting, IHS-810 Form), completing PHR registration
process and providing Tier 1 and Tier 2 support when
- Responsible for managing patients' and personal
representatives' access to their PHR account.
- Patient identity proofing and linking or unlinking patient's
- Responsible for notifying PHR administrator to remove or
terminate account when requested.
- Facilitator of PHR secure messages (message agent): receive,
distribute, and respond to secure messages.
- Review, identify and sort inside and outside medical
- Scan records into the electronic medical records system.
- Reproduce electronic copies of all medical records.
- Performs quality assurance functions on the scanned electronic
- Frequently the subject matters with others can be controversial
requiring persuasive techniques, poise, and a positive-respectful
attitude within and outside the facility, attorneys, insurance
agents, patients, providers, relatives, general public, etc.
- May be cross-trained for other duties of the department/health
- Works cooperatively within the office, Prairie Band Potawatomi
Nation, and other agencies; as needed
- All other duties as assigned
To qualify for this position, applicants must at least meet
minimum requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- One year of medical records experience.
- Must be available to work the assigned schedule: Monday-Friday,
- Must possess the ability to operate general office equipment,
including but not limited to: 10-key calculator, telephone,
computer and operating systems, computer software programs
(Microsoft Office programs), fax/copier/scan machine.
- Must possess professional work ethics/morals, manner, and
- Must possess ability to communicate professionally; both orally
and in writing.
- Must be dependable, punctual, accountable and honest in order
to meet the needs of the department and Prairie Band Potawatomi
- A record of satisfactory attendance and performance in all
prior and current employment
- Associates Degree in Medical Coding/Billing, Health
Information, Health Care, or similar field.
- Three to four years in medical records.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Three to four years' working with Electronic Health Record
(EHR), Resource Patient Management System (RPMS), VISTA
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, & ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with others,
including members of the public
- Ability to maintain high level of privacy and confidentiality
of individuals and families.
- Ability to perform daily activities, including but not limited
to filing, typing, answering the telephone, and operating office
- Able to read, write and speak English
- Ability to work efficiently in a highly team-team oriented
- Ability to work in a high-stress, deadline oriented
- Attend out-of-state/out-of-town training periodically to
enhance job performance and knowledge.
- Exposure to illnesses, diseases and cytotoxic medications.
- Daily vicarious exposure to other's physical and emotional
trauma experiences can have severe and lasting effects on
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to have full range of mobility in upper and
lower body; be able to reach overhead; be able to work in various
positions, including stooping, standing, bending over, sitting,
kneeling and squatting for extended periods of time; be able to
lift, pull and push materials and equipment to complete assigned
job tasks; and be able to frequently lift 20 pounds of weight
throughout the assigned workday.
POST OFFER CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Background Investigation with adjudication
- Pre-employment Drug Screening
- Tuberculosis (TB) Screening
Note: This job description should not be construed to imply that
these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position.
Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any
other related duties, as may be required. The Prairie Band
Potawatomi Nation reserves the right to revise this job description
at any time. The job description is not to be construed as a
contract for employment.
Keywords: Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation, Topeka , Health Information Management Technician, Other , Mayetta, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!