Lead Maintenance Technician
Company: IRET Properties
Posted on: February 14, 2019
LEAD MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (SHERWOOD - TOPEKA, KS)
(2) Weeks PTO in 1St year
9 Paid Holidays
20% Rent Discount for IRET rents
Volunteer Time Off each Quarter
Medical/Dental Benefits - 1St of Month after 60 days
401k match up to 5% - After 6 months
Come join our growing team!
As a Lead Maintenance Technician, you're primarily responsible for assisting in overseeing the physical assets, general maintenance repairs, apartment make-readies, and preventive maintenance projects for the property.
About IRET: IRET was founded in Minot, North Dakota, in 1970. You can find our corporate offices located in Minneapolis, Minnesota and in Minot North Dakota, along with onsite operations in eight states. From Denver, CO to Minneapolis, MN to Topeka, KS, our company continues to grow throughout the Midwest, proudly providing apartment homes to thousands of residents, extending our vision to be the premier provider of apartment homes in vibrant communities by focusing on integrity and serving others. IRET is built around our employees. Our Mission and Vision unites our employees as one team.
Responsible for minor and major repairs of mechanical or aesthetic issues; general building preventative maintenance; maintaining the environmental conditions of spaces; maintaining accurate levels of inventory related to the building's mechanical systems; know and perform individual emergency procedures and duties as dictated by the site emergency procedure manual, either personally or through other maintenance staff.
Requires little supervision. Self-directed and self-motivated. Requires personal initiative and mechanical ability. Able to follow instructions, prioritize duties, and comply with deadlines. Assists others in prioritizing and setting deadlines. Expected to be a mentor and resource to other maintenance staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Directs the maintenance projects for assigned properties by either delegating duties to other maintenance staff or performing duties personally. Other duties may be assigned.
* Conducts property inspections and determines preventative maintenance requirements based on equipment and structural needs.
* Complete minor and major repairs of mechanical or aesthetic issues to ensure the property is optimally functional, presentable, and safe.
* Perform minor and major HVAC maintenance, such as replacing motors and bearings.
* Change light bulbs, service flush valves, clean mechanical rooms, and plunge toilets.
* Paint and/or wallpaper assigned areas and perform minor repairs to applicable areas.
* Perform minor carpet repairs.
* Demonstrate proficiency and respond appropriately to the building automation and security (including card access if applicable), fire, life, and safety systems.
* Select and monitor service providers to ensure services delivered are the most effective and efficient for the property.
* Perform general building preventative maintenance to ensure equipment is safe and effective for use, and down time with equipment meets or exceeds established specifications.
* Service and monitor the HVAC equipment.
* Maintain the environmental conditions of spaces to ensure the tenant and common space environments are acceptable for optimum use.
* Perform preventative maintenance on:
* Doors, locks, and hardware
* Wall treatments
* Provide assistance to the Community Manager to ensure that tenant improvements are accurate and address concerns with appropriate contact, such as construction or tenant.
* Monitor and maintain tools.
* Perform assigned duties as prescribed in safety manuals.
* Respond to test situations accurately.
* Maintain sufficient technical and industry contacts and knowledge.
* Participate in after hours on-call programs.
* Assist outside contractors with major inspections.
* Serve as a key contact between community managers, operations managers, general managers, and tenants.
* Apply current knowledge or devise creative solutions to proactively resolve issues.
* Utilize any tools and/or processes implemented by the organization to assure adherence to quality standards.
* Participate in capital improvements.
* Responsible for training new maintenance staff.
* Maintain operating logs and record temperatures, pressures, and chemical level of heavy equipment such as chillers and boilers.
* Complete reports and perform various administrative duties to positively support completion of activities and projects.
* Maintain accurate levels of inventory related to the building's mechanical systems to ensure optimum levels of inventory are on hand and readily accessible when needed.
* Purchase parts and supplies from vendors; review pricing for competitive rates for parts, services, and supplies.
* Stock items when received.
* May participate in the budgetary process as requested by the Community Manager.
* Clean up vacant areas.
* Remove debris from the building and grounds.
* Know and perform individual emergency procedures and duties as dictated by the site emergency procedure manual and the safety manual to ensure that actions promote the safety and security of the employees, occupants, and structures, and correct actions are demonstrated in test situations and actual emergencies.
* Promptly respond to all emergency situations, fire alarms, and natural catastrophes.
* Study and know the site-specific emergency manual(s).
* Assist tenant and emergency personnel in swift and careful evacuations when appropriate.
* Communicate and interact with property management and engineering staff for day-to-day operational issues.
* Communicates regularly with vendors, equipment repair, maintenance, and tenants for day-to-day operational issues.
* Analyze strengths and weaknesses of current products and services.
* Brainstorm and research improvements and/or new products and services.
* Participate in continuous improvement/quality initiatives and identify improvements to, and/or develop new, products, services, or processes to result in the discovery of more efficient and effective methods and/or new offerings.
* Participate in cross-functional and interdepartmental meetings/teams.
* Serve as a resource and collaborate with both internal and external customers by obtaining and sharing knowledge and information and coordinating actions and decisions with other departments in order to enhance individual and customer abilities to achieve quality results.
* May assist with grounds-keeping duties such as mowing, weed control, tree/shrub trimming, depending on the property and need.
* May be responsible for snow removal such as shoveling snow and de-icing walkways, etc, depending on the property and need.
* Assist and/or back up coworkers.
Back up for this position is provided by other maintenance staff or third party vendors.
May have a company credit card with up to a $1500 limit, this varies by location and/or property.
Schedules will be determined by supervisor based on property needs. May be required to work after regularly scheduled hours, or days, based on property needs such as completing turnovers or filling in for other co-workers. May also be required to take after hour service calls.
This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities. Employee may delegate duties, train new employees, and serve as a mentor and resource for other maintenance staff, but is generally not responsible for appraising performance, disciplining employees, hiring or firing decisions, or approving time worked.
IRET is an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled
Keywords: IRET Properties, Topeka , Lead Maintenance Technician, Professions , Topeka, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!