Maintenance Industrial Mechanic
Company: The J. M. Smucker Company
Posted on: September 13, 2019
For more than 120 years, The J.M. Smucker Company has brought
families together to share memorable meals and moments. Guided by a
vision to engage, delight, and inspire consumers through trusted
food and beverage brands that bring joy throughout their lives,
Smucker has grown to be a well-respected North American marketer
and manufacturer with a balanced portfolio of leading and emerging,
on-trend brands. In consumer foods and beverages, its brands
include Smucker's , Folgers , Jif , Dunkin Donuts , Crisco , Caf
Bustelo , R.W. Knudsen Family , Sahale Snacks , Smucker's
Uncrustables , Robin Hood , and Bick s . In pet food and pet
snacks, its brands include Rachael Ray Nutrish , Meow Mix ,
Milk-Bone , Kibbles 'n Bits , Natural Balance , and Nature s Recipe
. The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality,
People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence established by its founder
and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about
our Company, visit jmsmucker.com.
The Topeka, Kansas plant has a Full Time opening for an Maintenance
Industrial Mechanic. The selected candidate must have basic
troubleshooting skills to maintain a highly automated Pet Foods
This position will have the responsibility to assist and train team
members with on-shift repairs, maintain and repair all machines in
an efficient and safe manner, and ensure all SOPs, QA, Safety and
Sanitation procedures are followed.
* Clear understanding and working knowledge of mechanical &
electrical systems, electrical schematics, power distribution &
controls, motor & motor controls, and other industrial
* Review, follow, and write Job Safety Analyses and safe practices
for the area.
* Manage scheduled on-shift and downtime maintenance work.
* Assist with identifying and ordering spare parts.
* Assist planner/scheduler with scheduling maintenance activities
of team members, contractors and other outside services.
* Be able to make adjustments and repairs to machines to maintain
operating efficiency and reliability.
* Perform preventative maintenance. Some on shift and some on
* Write and complete work orders for area
* Adhere to all Safety, GMP, Sanitation, Quality, and Team rules
* Desire to work in a Team Based Environment
* Strong mechanical, electrical and trouble shooting skills
* Ability to operate a forklift and pallet jack
* Basic computer skills
* Basic reading, writing, and math skills
* Good communications skills
* Ability to follow procedures and rules
* Willingness to work overtime
* Proper lifting techniques
* Willingness to rotate shifts
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment Mandatory Overtime
subject to area procedure
* Ability to cover weekends worked as scheduled (12 days on and 2
days off are fairly common during busy season) &/or working 12
* Ability to adhere to plant attendance policy
ADDITIONAL JOB DETAILS:
* Must wear Personal Protective Equipment as required in areas
* Weekend Maintenance is expected
* Procedures and rules are to be followed as required by area and
* Many work areas are fairly noisy during operation hearing
protection is required
* Good communication skills; communicate with clarity; pertinent
content and demonstration of required skills
* Understand and communicate team and area goals and objectives
* Ability to follow directions independently and provide clear
instructions to fellow team members
* Ability to give and receive constructive feedback with
sensitivity, using questions and information to further team
* Commitment to principles of team-based work environment
* Demonstrate the ability to initiate and complete work assignments
with minimal supervision
* 3 or more years of experience, with a mechanical aptitude
* High School Diploma or GED
Standing: Up to 6 hours in 8-hour day or 11 hours in a 12 hour
day---occasionally. 4 hours overtime, possibly several days in a
Sitting: Up to several hours per day for ordering parts, record
keeping, lunch and breaks.
Lifting: Up to 60 pounds required.
Lift / Pull: Lifting equipment, motors, gearboxes, etc.
Push / Pull: Moving toolboxes, welders and shop carts. Moving
portable pumps, conveyors and tanks. Using chain falls and
Carry: Ladders, repair parts and materials
Climbing: Up and down stairs/ladders up to or more than 5-10 times
Balancing: Climbing steps / ladders.
Walking: To all areas of the plant, in and around machines, to
Stooping: To reach under equipment
Kneeling: To repair/rebuild equipment.
Squatting: To repair/rebuild equipment.
Reaching: To repair/maintain overhead equipment.
Handling: Tools, parts, turning machines on and off, paperwork.
Feeling: Checking equipment for vibration or wear.
Twisting: Back, shoulders, and knees while working in small
Talking: Communication with teammates, contractors, vendors, other
areas and shifts. Talking on 2-way radios, and telephone.
Hearing: Machines running, co-workers, alarms, 2-way radios.
Noise: Hearing protection required in all production areas.
Sight: Operate machinery, complete paperwork, monitor gauges and
WORKING ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL SURROUNDINGS:
Standing / walking on concrete, walking and climbing, extreme heat
in summer, cold in winter, working in wet or dusty processing
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT:
Safety glasses with side shields, steel toed shoes, hearing
protection, bump caps. Face shield and chemical resistant gloves as
Automatic equipment, pressurized air hoses, utility knives, heavy
lifting, moving forklifts, climbing on catwalk ladders and
platforms, natural gas and steam systems.
Each employee shall be aware of the importance of the element of
quality in their daily job function. The employees shall be able to
comply with the cGMPs (current Good Manufacturing Practices)
section 21-CFR-110 pertaining to the manufacturing and distribution
of food. The employee should be able to maintain a constant
awareness of the appropriate and proper personal hygiene for a food
manufacturing facility, be able to read and follow standard
operating procedures (SOPs) and work instructions (WI) to produce a
safe and high-quality product that meets or exceeds our customers'
expectations. Employees shall also be aware that our customers may
request additional measures to be taken in quality and food safety
systems such as those put forth in the Global Food Safety
Initiative that include the British Retail Consortium (BRC).
The J. M. Smucker Company (the Company ) is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in
any other aspect of their employment on the basis of race, color,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin,
ancestry, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity
or expression, transgender status, marital status, familial status,
disability, genetic information, protected veteran/military status,
or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state
or local law.
Keywords: The J. M. Smucker Company, Topeka , Maintenance Industrial Mechanic, Professions , Topeka, Kansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!